There is ecstasy in paying attention. Anyone who wants to can be surprised by the beauty or pain of the natural world, of the human mind and heart, and can try to capture just that - the details, the nuance, what is. (annie lamott)

Thursday, October 20, 2005

Ready

I'm ready to go back to Africa. I know that I was there just two weeks ago. But the desires of my heart ache to be there some more. I want to take as long as I am able to live in a village - maybe in Kenya, and stay out there for a while - and get to know the communities better. I want to know more, to live with people so I can understand them better. I crave to grasp the pulse of Africa, which I believe to be found in the villages. I'll go there for Blood:Water, to discover more of what is required of us as we refine our mission. I'll go there for myself, to learn more about God and His desires for me and for His children.



It's like I have a crush on Africa. I can't stop thinking about the people, the places, the food, the culture, the language, the poverty, the tragedy, the redemption, the hope... But I suppose it's more of a passion than a crush. It's all welled up inside of me and I want to learn more so that I may be more effective. I want to sit with the women and talk with them about their lives and how they perceive themselves and work together on finding ways that they may be empowered. I want to find out the issues with school fees so that we can get donors in the States to keep these children in school; for education is their greatest hope. I want to understand the hunger crisis, the water crisis, the HIV/AIDS crisis - and find the best ways for Blood:Water to address such things. I want to learn the local languages, to delve deeper into issues of faith, of survival, of dreams, and of sustainable development. And I want to build more relationships with Africans. I don't know what the next needs are for Blood:Water Mission, but I'm ready to go in whichever direction God leads.

Jena

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home