Like a True Business Woman
Well, today was the first time I flew into a city for a meeting and flew home that same day. What a strange experience: to wake up in your own bed, spend the entire day in a completely different city, and be back in your own bed that evening. Ahh, I love it! (I didn't love getting up at 4:30 am, but everything else was great).
I'm a creature of habit, so I like to go to the same places each time I'm in Washington DC. I stopped by the Starbucks at 17th and K St. It's the Starbucks right off the Farragut North metro stop. Every time I'm there, I'm greeted by a kind, gentle-spirited man whose smile shows that his heart is genuine. He's homeless, and he stands outside of Starbucks to wish everyone a good morning, to open the door for them, and to be acknowledged - with hopes that someone might think of him as they stand at the counter to buy their regular fix for the morning. Well, I did think of him this morning. I wanted to know his story and I wanted to return the smiles and kindness back to him.
Antonio and I stood on the corner outside the coffee shop and I told him how I wasn't from around here, but that I remember his face because I see him each time I visit. His heart and his intellect and his ability to relate so beautifully with people is a gift. We stood out there chatting away as he shared with me his trust in God and quoting his favortie Bible verses. He pulled out his Bible and the two of us read together through Psalms, and Antonio told me why he loved certain verses. He asked about me and poured nothing but encouragement and excitement to have met someone else who shares the same love and passion for God and His children. I was blessed by Antonio today. I'm thankful to have taken the time to meet another friend.
I came to Washington to spend time with Chinwe Effiong, an incredible Nigerian woman who is Country Director for Africare in Nigeria. We had met together last weekend in Nashville and she's in the states for a just a few more days. She has been helping me think through our strategic plan and our mission as an organization. She has the experience, expertise and wisdom that I lack. I'm so thankful for the short amount of time that I had with her.
Anyway, it was a really good day. I got to have lunch with Reagan, catch up with some more Africare staff, and even get a haircut.
Washington DC is fantastic. I love it there. And I'm so thankful that I get to visit so often. What a dream.
Jena


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home