There is ecstasy in paying attention. Anyone who wants to can be surprised by the beauty or pain of the natural world, of the human mind and heart, and can try to capture just that - the details, the nuance, what is. (annie lamott)

Wednesday, March 16, 2005

Jacskonville, FL

I tell you what. I'm wiped. Absolutely exhausted and worn out. I'm on a plane every other day, in a new city, driving a rental car on America's highways, sleeping in a different bed each night, meeting handfuls of new people with each meeting, eating fast food as my only option, operating on very few hours of sleep and trying to be the best director that I know how to be. It's exciting and wonderful and certainly not mundane, but it can ruin me if I'm not careful.

I flew into Jacksonville on Wednesday night and stayed in a $40 hotel that was completely sketchy. The place was pretty nasty, and I didn't sleep with very much ease because of loud people on the balcony outside my door. Oh well. I talked on the phone with Mom and Dad and caught up with Micah Holmes. I watched West Wing episodes on Bravo (loving cable!) and crashed early. I woke up early to rent a car and drive to Tallahassee. The drive was 3 hours (yes, I flew into Jacksonville because it was cheaper than any Tallahassee flights) - 2 lane highway with beautiful trees on the sides of the road. The trees were really tall and extremely thin. It was cool to drive past the trees with speed and see a fan of thousands of trees "move" like a flip book. I listened to Coldplay twice, some Bebo and as always, much Patty Griffin.

I spent some time praying about the 1000 Wells Project. Reagan reminded me the other day how important and powerful it is to bring such requests to God with persistence and with faith. I don't think I'm worried about 1000 wells. I know I am too naive and idealistic to have the vision crushed. But I also recognize all the obstacles that come our way as we pursue this ambitious project. I know God wants water and life and hope to be brought into these communities. I am pretty sure he has commissioned us to do some of that work for him. I know, too, that it will continue to require hard work and much sacrifice to see this to completion. I know that I don't pray enough about it - that if it's the stir and cry of my heart, I should be making that very clear to God.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home