There is ecstasy in paying attention. Anyone who wants to can be surprised by the beauty or pain of the natural world, of the human mind and heart, and can try to capture just that - the details, the nuance, what is. (annie lamott)

Friday, March 04, 2005

Houston, TX

First time to Texas. It really does feel like its own country. I'm happy with the weather, disturbed by the lack of non-smoking facilities, amused by the infiltration of country music in every radio, and pleasantly surprised with how many parts of Houston feel like Mexico.

My Extended Stay Hotel had a receptionist named Sheri. She had long, dirty blond hair that had clearly been straightened, and big bangs that hung over her eyes. She was in her fifties, had a raspy voice with a strong twang, and her skin looked fake-baked a few too many times. She wore big gold rings and smelled of cigarette smoke. She was amusing and very nice.

I spent the afternoon wtih Brenda Koinis and Rachel Howell from the H2O Project to promote 1000 Wells at a big Baptist conference. it was good to finally meet these two in person adn work together on the project. I was able to connect with other NGO's as well. I've spoken a lot of Spanish today and have absolutely LOVED it. It makes me really miss Tijuana. It was a good day, but the whole booth-running thing can get old. Tomorrow will be long...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home