Sold

I just finished an amazing book called 'Sold' by Patricia McCormick. It was so good, I read it from Nashville to LA this week.
It's the story of a thirteen-year-old girl in Nepal who is sold to a brothel. The story itself is powerful and horrible and yet so very real. McCormick's writing is a fabulous mix of simple statements and profound insights. I loved the way she conveyed the story. It was unique, simple, raw and gut-wrenching.
I wanted to cry for the story of this girl. I wanted to leap into the page and hold her and care for her. My heart sunk and yet became impassioned with the realities of this nasty world of ours. It made me think of the International Justice Mission and the daunting tasks they have at hand. There is a drastic difference between the structural violence that BWM addresses and direct human violence. There is so much unnecessary suffering and injustice in our world. I'm saddened by the truth this story conveys. I ache for these situations to be redeemed. McCormick did an amazing job of absorbing and capturing the integrity of someone's story, and then inspiring the reader to care and to be transformed in their thinking.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home