Review
I did a lousy job of keeping friends and family up to date in the last six months. I ended up traveling over 140 days in 2006, hitting most every major city and arriving in a new town every week. I thought at the very least, I could post some pics from the second half of the year, though I didn't take very many photos. Here's a collection of some of the memorable parts of the late summer/fall of 2006...
We went kayaking (and wading) for Amy's 24th birthday. It was a sweet time together, and we almost - just almost - felt like we were back in Colorado.


The Jars family, Jeremy Cowart and I returned to Africa in July. I was so excited to bring the band over to finally see the fruits of their labor, to meet the faces of our neighbors in Africa, and to taste (literally) the change that they've helped create from their work with Blood:Water MIssion. I will always treasure this trip together.

A Blood:Water well...

I think one of the most humbling experiences of my life was meeting a precious four-month old baby who was named after me. Baby Jena Lee was born in Atemo village, just after I left the community and had seen them off with a brand new well in their village. She's beautiful.

We were invited to go to Rwanda with Gary Haugen and the International Justice Mission team. Gary has been mentoring me on a regular basis for the last year - guiding me on issues of leadership and vision. He founded IJM as a young lawyer, and his leadership and humility inspire me. He took us to the most horrific site of the Rwandan genocide. I had no ability to understand where we stood and what it meant. We stood among skulls and bones and tears, and Gary slowly read Psalm 10 to us. And if a sense of peace in a place like that were possible, it was there.


The experiences in Rwanda were surreal. We stayed at the Milles Collines (Hotel Rwanda) and met with President Paul Kagame. I think one of our favorite nights was sitting on the patio at the hotel on a warm night, reflecting on the day, and letting Jars play some of their new songs that wrestled with the very reasons why we were there that night.
I got home in time for Alyssa's wedding in Colorado. And time to be in the mountains with Mom.

Just two weeks after returning from the Jars Africa trip, I flew all the way back with a new group of people. We went to Kenya and Uganda to visit various Blood:Water Mission projects.
Benjamin, Collin, and me

Mercy Home for Children, Uganda

New well in Lira, Uganda

And then I ended up needing to go to the hospital in Gulu. It took a few miserable weeks to recover, but I was fine. Here's my x-ray.

I got back from Africa, and Jeremy Cowart and I put out our first book called Hope in the Dark. In August, we had a book release party at Rocketown that had Jeremy's photos in a gallery, Matt Wertz and Dave Barnes for music, and a book signing. We have amazing friends and it was so fun to share the evening with everyone. Thanks to Adrian Hitt for the photographs!




The Catalyst Conference in Atlanta was fabulous. The Blood:Water team went together. I got more time with my wonderful friend Don Miller - and made some new friends, too.


Dad and I overlapped in Washington DC on Veterans Day - so we went to the ceremony at Arlington Cemetary. We had a great couple of days together.

My sweet grandpa turned 80!

A bunch of us girls went to Austin to celebrate Tracey's birthday!

My Aunt Barbara and I got some great time when I was out with Jars in California.

And I had the chance to catch up with Tyler before he left for India.

I went to ice skate Rockefeller Center with Adrian after a Charity fundraiser in New York.

And I went to my first NFL game EVER. The Titans were amazing. I had SO MUCH FUN; nine rows from the very top!

My amazing Neighborhood Group from church helped me get the BWM end-of-the-year mailing out to thousands of people.

Rachel, my parents, and I enjoyed the rocky mountains in Estes Park.


We have new staff coming on to Blood:Water! The Passion07 conference held an IKEA garage sale at the end, and we redid our office!



0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home