There is ecstasy in paying attention. Anyone who wants to can be surprised by the beauty or pain of the natural world, of the human mind and heart, and can try to capture just that - the details, the nuance, what is. (annie lamott)

Sunday, November 20, 2005

Uganda

Uganda has been heavy on my heart. I just watched the documentary, Invisible Children, and I was reminded of all that I had seen and experienced this summer in the Internally Displaced Persons camps and villages of northern Uganda. It's absolutely outrageous and things continue to worsen. What can we do about this? What are we called to do? I can't rest with the knowledge that thousands of lives have been destroyed - and the things that are going on with the children are horrific. It's terrible, and most of our country doesn't even know anything about it. Blood:Water has built 5 new wells in the area, but there is still so much more to be done.

God, what are we to do?

IS NOT THIS THE KIND OF FASTING I HAVE CHOSEN: TO LOOSE THE CHAINS OF INJUSTICE AND UNTIE THE CORDS OF THE YOKE, TO SET THE OPPRESSED FREE AND BREAK EVERY YOKE?

IS IT NOT TO SHARE YOUR FOOD WITH THE HUNGRY AND TO PROVIDE THE POOR WANDERER WITH SHELTER - WHEN YOU SEE THE NAKED, TO CLOTHE HIM, AND NOT TO TURN AWAY FROM YOUR OWN FLESH AND BLOOD?

The Lord looked and was displeased that there was no justice. He saw that there was no one, He was appalled that there was no one to intervene...

Jena

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home