There is ecstasy in paying attention. Anyone who wants to can be surprised by the beauty or pain of the natural world, of the human mind and heart, and can try to capture just that - the details, the nuance, what is. (annie lamott)

Sunday, January 01, 2006

New Year



It's that time of year - a new year to look back at 2005 as well as forward into 2006. I'd have to say that 2005 was nothing short of fabulous. It's amazing because the second half of 2004 was one of the hardest seasons of my life - 6 months of scattered pieces, frustrated efforts, few friends and threatened confidence. And then January 2005 brought in more hope, excitement, and promise for the new year than I could ever have wished. It's as if everything started to come together.

Blood:Water realized its potential for transformation in Africa and in America. Jars realized their gift in mobilizing young people and raising outrageous amounts of money for our work in Africa. We traveled all spring to raise support. The summer was absolutely incredible as I visited Kenya, Uganda and South Africa. This fall we completed over 40 projects with plans for several more. And then I visited Senegal, Sierra Leone, and Niger -- every time learning more than before. 2005 marks the year when Blood:Water Mission raised $1.2 million in its first year of operation! Over 120,000 Africans have access to clean water because of it. We have so much reason to celebrate. (And to think that a year ago, I was really wondering if I should pack my bags and call it quits...)

Personally, this year has been one of the most challenging, and yet one of the most fulfilling years for me. I have learned SO much. The challenges and experiences are priceless. God is putting me through the hardest boot camp of life, leadership, and effectivity. My new life in Nashville has been wonderful, too. Friends, church, and a sense of belonging have all began to grow for me. I built new friendships, took risks in the dating scene, ran a half marathon, moved 3 times to finally end up downtown, and met some of the most inspiring and compassionate people across this country and Africa.

God poured His grace in the gallons on my life and decisions this year. So much of what I did this year, I have never done before, and I had to trust God to get me through all of it. And I will certainly need equal amounts of grace and guidance for this year to come.

I rejoice in the year that has passed and certainly in the year that is to come. I am thankful for my life. So thankful. I am blessed beyond understanding. May I be a good steward of all that has been given to me. May I hold it in the palm of my hand, with my hand wide open, for it is not mine. Here's to the New Year.

Jena

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home